Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Singapore Effect

Written by Kal-El

Singapore trip was excellent, attended my course and had my exams there, clock it through stress and pain, but yeah I got thru, but on top of that, I got a Bonus to go on an Action Figure hunt there. It was like heaven for me there, preparing myself on this mystical journey, I sat down and talk with the guys like GL and Sexy Lexy regarding the Action Figure Shops in SG. I Plan out every schedule of the trip there so it wouldn’t jeopardize my studies and career.


First stop I made was when SSR called me in SG that she was at Toys ‘R’ Us at The Forum building, what did I do? I called the cab straight away, we all know what Toys ‘R’ Us have, so the first thing I saw there on display was a vast range of Spiderman Action Figures and Toys for the upcoming Blockbuster Movie Spiderman 3, lucky for me I have already got this, but what I saw I didn’t have was there..The Spiderman Origins line and some of the Mattel’s DC superheroes line. For which after much hesitation of chosing which ones to get, (I Do have a conscious at this time, thinking about my luggage) so I went and got the Bizarro and the Spiderman Origins.

Toys ‘R’ Us Address:
The Forum
Suntec City
Paragon


Then the next day, me and my colleague decided to go to Takashimaya, there also carried some toys with the likes of TMNT, Spiderman 3 movie lines, Hasbro’s Transformers and lastly Star Wars figure. I was tempted to get the Star Wars, but ended up not getting it. Be careful, I was already blinded by the amount of actions figures that they have here, it’s amazing. My colleague quoted “I’ve never seen anyone moved so fast in the Toy section”. After several argument in my head, I decided to hold it off, due to that it is only the second time I so an action figure shop, so I kept perseverance.


Then came to the Funan Digitalife Mall, where I and my colleague saw another Bruneian, to whom is my dearest friend Salleh. Throughout the Mall, they offered a big number of IT shop, it may not be as big as the famous Sim Lim Tower, but they got a lot of IT stuff there too. So yeah back to my story, I Stumble upon a shop called Alaric’s Comics and Collectible shops. It was the damnest thing that happened...The shop was closed already, All I had was a view of stuff that this place carries. The DC and Marvel Collectibles shops. It was simply amazing, I couldn’t believe that such shop exists. All the stuff that they have was what I was browsing to on the internet a few months ago. Much to anger that they close so early as 8pm, I made a promise to myself that the next day I would come earlier after my training was done.


So the next day, I had a major big exam to attend to, having 2 exams in order to get my Certification as an IT Technician, I had to clear off my head on the Action figures there and get back to business. After a long 1 hour exams, I had pass this one, and knowing that I only have 1 more exams there so this takes away a little bit of pressure. So with that, I decided to go and release my stress by visiting Alaric’s Comics. Those guys in there weren’t too sure of what questions I asked. But what I know is that, what they got there was amazing, from Action Figures, to Statues, Busts, Comics and other collectibles. Was awesome, I just wish GL and Sexy Lexy was there too with me, so I could share my insanity of the glorious moment of striking gold. This where I got the Superman / Batman: Supergirl , Armoured Wonder Woman by Alex Ross from Kingdom Come, Hawkgirl from the JSA line. Power Girl from the Infinite Crisis, Hal Jordan from The Green Lantern Line (My apologies to GL, only 1 left), Aquaman first appearance, The Joker and Clark Kent/Superman from Unmasked and Alex Ross’s Green Arrow.Coming home from it, with a big smile on my face.



Addresses:

Alaric's Comics & Collectibles
109 North Brigde Road #05-31/31a
Funan The Digitalife Mall
Singapore 179097
Tel: 6333 1262 Fax: 6333 1277


Next of, I went to Far East Plaza to go and get Sexy Lexy’s MP-05 Megatron Master piece edition, First I went to Earth X shop on the 5th floor, they also carry a lot of Japanese imports here as well as the Marvel Selects, sadly its non that I wanted…well maybe some…but I was mainly focusing on targeted action figures, but sadly the Megatron had been sold out. So I was told by Chan the friendly owner of Earth X, to go and visited Toy Quest, Now by this time it was nearly 930pm, they were already closed. So there was only one more shop to go to at this time, The was the Falcon’s Hanger.


The Falcon’s Hanger was introduced to my by a former colleague back when I was still working for Finance. My Thanks to Edwin for telling me about this wonderful place. The Falcon’s hanger carries mainly Star Wars figure and other collectibles. The have RAH (Real Action Heroes) to which I was tempted. Transformers was also sold there too, Lucky for Sexy Lexy, they had 1 Megatron here. This figure was truly a masterpiece. Then I came about a very interesting shop, from the Picture above, I didn’t included a Robocop figure that I got, it was simply amazing, of all places to find this particular figure, I found it on a women’s clothing / shoe shop in Far East plaza, it was displayed with other Spawn figures, kinda old lines, but still in mint condition. But what caught my eye was the Robocop, going at a price of $25, I tried haggling it down to a 20, but the storekeeper said that it was a collectible, and my other half was too busy looking at shoes in the store to haggle it for me, she’s my haggler so if you ever need someone to haggle stuff for you, SSR is the one. (I Love her for that)

Addresses:
The Falcon's Hanger
Far East Plaza, 4th Floor
Roy Tel: 62352390

Earth X
14 Scotts Road#05-126
Far East Plaza Singapore 228213


My collection seemed to grow bigger everyday, so I went the next day just to shop at Raffles city close by to where I was staying, there I saw Marvel Super Hero Squads, the Second wave, going only at a price of $10 each. So I quickly called GL and got it for him. Lucky guy, he managed to complete his list of Superhero Squads, ranging of the likes of Wolverine, Saber tooth, Magneto, Cyclops, Archangel, Colossus, Captain America and Hawkeye.


On my last day after my final exams, For which I had passed, finally the stress mode is off, we went off to Bugis area, where I stumbled upon a fantastic shop of DC Superheroes clothing shop there, got my self a Superman T Shirt with the Emblem on it. They carry a huge selection of DC superheroes shirt from Superman, Wonder Woman,The Flash etc. You nameit. Do visit this shop whenever your in Bugis. After that I went up to one of the store nearby Kinokuniya in Bugis, a comic store name Absolute Comics, also nearly the same like Alaric’s, this is where I found the Supergirl figure, at a price of $28, I took it. The carry also Comic books, Statues, Busts, Collectibles and also apparels.

Address:
DC Superheroes
Bugis Junction
01-63 Ground Floor

Suntec City 02-068Tel: +6563377502

Absolute Comics
200 Victoria Street #03-13
Parco Bugis Junction,
SingaporeTel: 63333193


Next Morning on Sunday, the day I would leave this fantastic place, before that I decided maybe I’ll just drop by to Toys ‘R’ Us again one more time, this time at The Paragon, I saw the 20th Anniversary Edition of Optimus Prime (Not Shown) he was Huge!! Die Cast body frame, going about $129, he was slightly cheaper than at Hua Ho manggis, I knew I had to get him, but at the same time worried cause my luggage may be to heavy and he would definitely could not fit the space any more, despite my arguments with my conscious, I decided to go ahead with it. Not just with Prime but also got myself the Superman and Mongul from DC Superheroes also. But in the end, I came home with a Microsoft Certificate and also a number of figures to add to my collections.

So yeah there you go guys, story of the week. Go to Singapore if your desperate, it’s worth the journey, make sure you bring a big suit case, get a box while your at it, and also bring as much money as you can, you won’t regret it. Feel free to ask me anything regarding Singapore toy shops, I’ll try to answer any questions as I can.

No comments: